That moment when you realise you own more stuff that you thought can be a bit of a shock! For those of us with lots of clutter, the option of ignoring it or looking for new places in the house to cram away old items can be a tempting one. We promise ourselves we’ll one day get round to it but we never do, because the thought of tackling it head on is much more strenuous than simply walking past and pretending it isn’t there.
Trawling through old belongings means decisions will have to be made. Do you want to keep that old guitar that holds so many memories? What about all those old records you have collected over the years but rarely play anymore? There may be some items that hold sentimental value and you just can’t bring yourself to throw them away, so instead you leave them there as clutter in your home.
Well there is no time quite like the present, we have put together this guide to help you start to declutter and reclaim the space in your home. And it all starts with something as simple as renting a household self storage unit. Self storage allows you the flexibility to declutter without having to make the difficult decisions about whether you need to throw possessions away. Follow the link to get a quick quote for a Self Storage room in Oakleigh at one of our secure facilities. Once you have rented your self storage unit, choosing a size that is suitable for how much mess you have, it is time to get cleaning. Here are our top 5 tips for how to approach it.
Declutter your home in 5 simple steps:
- Create a pile of clutter – Start off by making a mess! This may seem counterproductive, but to begin, you need to make a big mess! Gather up all of the clutter you can find in each room and put it in a pile for sorting. Clearing through old clothes can seem like a daunting task when they are located all over your bedroom, so put them in one big pile and start sorting through them.
- Tackle one category at a time – Aiming to declutter one category of items can feel a little more manageable than trying to sort everything in one go. For instance, you could tackle your clothes first, then books, then old CDs & DVDs etc. Take your time with this process, and sort everything into its allocated piles.
- Decide if it adds value – Throwing some items away can be an easy decision, such as a broken tv or that old armchair with the springs showing. However, you will come across some possessions that are difficult to part ways with. The question you need to ask yourself is “does this add value to my life or bring me joy?” If the answer is yes, keep it. If not, but you don’t want to throw it away still, put it in the pile for self storage.
- Get the family involved – If there are others living with you, don’t tackle the whole house alone! You could assign one person to each room and perhaps offer a family reward as an incentive for completing it. This will make the process quicker and might persuade members of the household to get rid of some of their items. This will free up valuable space in your home.
- Take before and after pics – It is crucial for your motivation to be able to visualise your progress. Taking before and after pics will remind you why you have gone through all the effort. Furthermore, it will encourage you to keep things tidy as you will not want the house looking like the before pics ever again!
Why Choose Total Self Storage
Total Self Storage is a family owned Self Storage company. We were one of the first self storage companies in Melbourne, opening our doors and providing Self Storage rooms in Oakleigh in 1987.Our customers really do matter to us. So, when using us you will most certainly receive:
- A local, family owned & operated business providing a friendly, helpful & professional service from start to finish.
- A company that appreciates your business.
- A ‘no problem’ & ‘can do’ type attitude to any customers requests.
- A clean and tidy environment for both you and your belongings.
- Easy & convenient 7 day access to the personal or business goods you have in your own, individual self-storage unit!
Total Self Storage can help you to find the right storage unit for you:
- Our Self Storage experts evaluate how much space you need so that you don’t pay for space that you won’t use!
- Don’t risk your belongings with any old self-storage company. Total Self Storage ensure your belongings are kept safe, leaving you with complete peace of mind.
- Secure access & 24 hour surveillance on all our Self Storage rooms in Oakleigh.
- Our storage facility is kept spotlessly clean & tidy.
We hope that you find this article useful and has somewhat inspired you to declutter your home. If you would like to see more interesting articles then check out more articles from Total Self Storage. For a quote or to see what other services that we have to offer check out our contact page today!